18-year-old arrested in connection to Naples High School bomb threat

An 18-year-old North Naples man was arrested Thursday in connection with a bomb threat made to Naples High School earlier that day, police said.

Grayson Alexander Barry faces a felony charge of making a false report concerning the planting of a bomb and was taken to the Naples Jail Center on $10,000 bond, according to a Naples Police arrest report.

After Naples police were notified by the Collier County Sheriff’s Office that a bomb threat had been called into Naples High School around 9 a.m. Thursday, investigators interviewed the school receptionist who had received the call and obtained phone records that showed the call had originated from a Google Voice account belonging to Barry, the report stated. Google Voice records showed that the call had been placed from a Samsung cell phone.

Investigators found that the false bomb threat call was placed from Barry’s account, which was connected via an IP address assigned to an aquatics center on Livingston Road at the time of the call, according to the report.

Barry, who works as a lifeguard at the aquatics center, clocked into work at 5 a.m. on Thursday and clocked out at 1 p.m. the same day, the report stated.

Investigators went to Barry’s home in North Naples where they met with his mother who told them that her son was at Walmart. Barry’s mother gave detectives the empty box for the Samsung model cell phone she had given to him. The identifying number for Barry’s Samsung cell phone matched the records of the cell phone used to make the false bomb threat, the report stated.

Barry’s mother then contacted her son and asked him to come back to their home.

When investigators interviewed Barry he admitted to them to making the bomb threat to Naples High School, according to the arrest report.

Barry told investigators that he was contacted by two friends from Naples High School on Wednesday asking for his help “in getting out of testing the following day,” the report stated. Barry said neither friend knew of his intention to call in a bomb threat to the school on Thursday, according to the report.

Barry told investigators that he made the bomb threat call while on break at work, then returned to his lifeguard duties and “later retweeted news articles about the bomb threat,” the report stated.

The false bomb threat Thursday led to a full evacuation of the school, caused panic among students and prompted an hours-long sweep of the campus by law enforcement officers, before authorities determined the threat was a hoax.

The caller had called the school’s main phone number just before 9 a.m. and said that three explosive packages were on campus that would detonate in an hour, according to Naples police.

Law enforcement officers from the Naples Police Department and the Sheriff’s Office, including the bomb squad, responded to the school and found two suspicious packages that ultimately were deemed to be no threat, officials said.

One of the items, found near the school gym, was labeled #3. School administration decided to immediately evacuate all students across Golden Gate Parkway to the Coastland Center mall parking lot, officials said. Students who had not returned home or already left the mall were taken by bus to Gulfview Middle School.

Another suspicious package was found in the area of the football field.

The Collier County bomb squad took X-rays of both packages.

The package labeled #3 was a photography bag that is property of the high school. Surveillance video recorded at the school showed a student left the photography bag unattended when leaving the gym Wednesday, police said. The photography student was interviewed by detectives Thursday and said she accidentally left the bag by the gym, authorities said.

The second suspicious bag was a lunchbox with a thermos inside.

The school was determined clear of explosive devices at 1:45 p.m. Thursday, police said. School resumed Friday morning.

Barry, who turned 18 on Tuesday, is scheduled to appear in court for a first appearance Friday afternoon.

Source:http://www.naplesnews.com/story/news/crime/2017/03/03/teen-charged-naples-high-school-bomb-threat/98683280/