said he is excited about the opportunity and hoped he could make
positive changes in the school, especially in regard to safety.
“I’ve been in the school system doing my job as a police officer for 24 years,” said Blackmore. “With my background and all my training, I feel that could be a good asset to the Van Wert City School system.”
Blackmore said he was looking forward to “trying to make things better.”
“The whole aspect of the Van Wert City School pride–trying to get everything back on track there,” said Blackmore. “The safety aspect–that’s what I’m really going to push myself toward as far as the safe schools.”
President Anthony Adams expressed gratitude at the number of applicants
that applied for the position, saying that it was good to see such
interest in being part of the Board.
Blackmore’s term will end Dec. 31, 2021, at which point he can run for reelection.
his report, Superintendent Mark Bagley spoke about the recent positive
COVID-19 tests of a high school student and a staff member.
the last week we’ve had two separate cases of COVID-19 in our school,”
said Bagley. “We’ve had a staff member and a student. We’re very
transparent about that; we have to be. We’ve worked closely with the
teachers and staff for making the contact tracing process easier by
keeping up with seating charts and working to social distance students
as much as possible.
Bagley said that school districts recognize that a positive test was inevitable.
“If we thought this wasn’t going to happen we are fooling ourselves with this virus,” said Bagley.
during the meeting, Director of Curriculum Chris Covey made a
presentation to the Board regarding curriculum and instruction. He
touched on the School Report Card, which comes out annually in
September. However, due to testing being canceled in the spring, schools
did not receive grades this year.
In other business, the Board made the following motions:
– Accept the following supplemental resignations, effective the 2020-2021 contract year: Julia Reichert as chamber choir director, Tom Baer as middle school site manager, and Josie Luthman as middle school site manager.
– Approve Kelsey Snider as an early childhood center paraprofessional, effective Sept. 24, 2020.
– Approve Lori Gunderman as the payroll/benefits specialist for a continuing contract beginning with the 2020-2021 contract year.
Approve the following supplemental contracts, effective the 2020-2021
contract year: Tim Brown as head boys soccer coach, Joseph Foster as
assistant boys soccer coach, Ryan Parrish as middle school site manager,
Keith Recker as middle school site manager
– Accept the following generous donations to the Van Wert City Schools from: Jack L. Frysinger – $120 to the Van Wert Athletic Department; Barbara and Carl Meeks
– $100 to the Early Childhood Center; Statewide Ford Lincoln – $500 to
High School Robotics; The Athletic Booster Club – $75,000 for the track
resurfacing; and Miller Precision Mfg. Industries, Inc. – $100 to High
With no further business, the Board adjourned. The next meeting is set for Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 5 p.m.
Source by [author_name]