BREAKING NEWS: Stranger accused of abducting a girl, 12, from a Sydney skate park and raping her is hit with MORE ‘sexual touching’ charges over ‘terrifying six-and-a-half hour ordeal’
- Police upgrade charges against Sydney man Brett John Callaghan, 37
- Callaghan allegedly led girl, 12, away from skate park, drugged and raped her
- Alleged victim was found at a granny flat on his parents’ property that evening
- If convicted, new sexual touching charges mean he faces maximum 10 years jail
- Older charges had carried a penalty of up to five years imprisonment
- Callaghan has been charged with rape, grooming and drugging offences
Brett John Callaghan was hit with more serious charges on Thursday
A man accused of abducting a girl, 12, from a skate park, driving her to his granny flat, drugging her and raping her faces five more years behind bars if convicted of new charges.
A court heard on Thursday that two ‘sexual touching’ charges against Sydney father Brett John Callaghan, 37, have been upgraded to more serious offences.
Callaghan is accused of leading the schoolgirl away and assaulting her on his parents’ acreage in Dural in a brazen alleged attack at the end of April’s school holidays.
The new charges will carry a maximum 10 year jail term, rather than the five years previously carried by similar charges laid against him. Those charges will be withdrawn.
Court documents said Callaghan is accused of abducting the girl from the Thornleigh Skate Park about 3.30pm on Tuesday, April 28, and driving her home on a suspended licence.
The 12-year-old girl was allegedly taken to Callaghan’s granny flat in Dural at the back of his parent’s property, police claim
Callaghan then allegedly assaulted the girl during the drive to his house, and again when they returned to the flat.
The child was reported missing at 5.30pm after she failed to meet her parents at Hornsby Westfield as they had planned.
Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad eventually arrested Callaghan just after 1.15am the next day.
Callaghan appeared before Parramatta Local Court via video link today, months after a magistrate ruled some details of the alleged attack were too gruesome to be published.
In May, Detective Sergeant Lauren Seretis told Parramatta Local Court Magistrate Tim Keady the girl was ’embarrassed’ by widespread publicity about the incident.
The schoolgirl had been at Thornleigh’s skate park (pictured) when she went missing on April 28
Police released images of the offender being taken into custody earlier this year
‘When I first met her she was traumatised by what had occurred,’ Det Seretis said, describing her as ‘visibly upset’.
‘Since that time she has still been upset and traumatised from the events of that date.’
The detective said friends had contacted her on social media after cottoning on that she was the victim from television news reports.
Her parents had banned her from watching TV as a result, the court was told at the time.
Child Abuse Squad detectives have continued to investigate the alleged incident in the months since.
Callaghan did not apply for bail today and remains remanded in custody. He will face court on more in October.