California Attorney General Says U.S. Department of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos Abandons Attempt to Siphon Pandemic Relief Funds from Public Schools | #Education

September 26, 2020 – SACRAMENTO – California Attorney General Xavier Becerra on Friday issued the following statement in light of U.S. Department of Education (Department) Secretary Betsy DeVos’ decision to abandon her unlawful becerra official ca agrule that would have siphoned pandemic relief funds away from public schools across the country. The rule immediately floundered in the courts following several challenges, including a decision last month in California’s case that blocked the rule. Today, Secretary DeVos issued a letter confirming that the Department would no longer attempt to defend or enforce its unlawful rule.

“Time and time again, the Trump Administration has tried to subvert the rule of law, robbing those most in need of critical resources,” said Attorney General Becerra. “Here in California, we haven’t stopped fighting and today’s concession by the Department of Education is a win for children in our state and all across the country. With the CARES Act, Congress intended to protect our students most in need, and that’s what the courts affirmed. During this pandemic, we shouldn’t have to keep wasting valuable time and resources to simply uphold the law and block Secretary DeVos from stealing from the poor to give to the rich. Today’s capitulation by the Trump Administration shows what happens when you try to get in the way of the law and the facts. We’ll continue to keep a close eye on the Administration to ensure our schools and students are protected.”
Source: CA. DOJ


Source link