Charges have been dropped against a South Australian teacher who was accused of grooming a student.
- Natalie Linda Zuccon, 36, had been charged with making a child amenable to sexual activity
- The charges were today dropped in an Adelaide court
- Ms Zuccon had missed her first two court appearances as she had just given birth
Natalie Linda Zuccon, 36, was charged with five counts of making a child amenable to sexual activity at Grange between January 1 and February 28, 2017.
The court previously heard Ms Zuccon contested the allegations which related to videos sent from one phone to another.
Outside court, Ms Zuccon’s lawyer Craig Caldicott said withdrawing the charges was the “appropriate result”.
“It’s been terrible for her giving birth to a baby at this time of being taken before the courts,” he said.
Ms Zuccon missed her first two court appearances because she had recently given birth to a child.
Mr Caldicott said it was a question for another time as to whether she wanted to resume her teaching career.
But he said she should be reinstated as a teacher if she wished.
“My view is she should be. She hasn’t done anything wrong,” Mr Caldicott said.
Ms Zuccon’s employment was suspended when charges were laid in April.
In a statement at the time, the Department for Education said police had notified the department of the teacher’s arrest, and parents had been informed “in line with Debelle protocols”.
The Debelle inquiry — conducted by former Supreme Court justice Bruce Debelle — urged better reporting mechanisms, after parents in a separate case were kept in the dark about a police matter.
A statement from a department spokesperson today said they were aware of the court outcome.
“Allegations against employees are subject to internal assessment against professional standards and this process is ongoing,” the spokesperson said.