Tahoe ski instructor and ex-president of a youth football club, 28, is jailed for four years for sex acts with a child
- Anthony Coronado-Smith sentenced to 56 months in prison after pleading no contest to sexual battery, using a minor for sex acts and molesting a child
- Coronado-Smith was arrested at his home in Truckee, California, in June
- He was accused of molesting minor under age 14 for a year, and performing lewd act on a second minor in December 2018
- He was later charged with additional count of sexually battery stemming from 2011 incident, in which he restrained victim for sexual abuse
- Coronado-Smith worked as president of Truckee youth football club, a ski instructor and a golf instructor
A former ski instructor and ex-president of a youth football league at Lake Tahoe has been sentenced to more than four years in prison on charges related to sex acts with a child.
Anthony Coronado-Smith, 28, of Truckee, California, former president of the Truckee Pop Warner football league, was handed a 56-month prison term last week. As part of his sentence, he will be required to register as a sex offender for life.
After a prolonged trial in September 2020, Coronado-Smith pleaded no contest to sexual battery, using a minor for sex acts and annoying or molesting a child, reported Sierra Sun.
Anthony Coronado-Smith, 28 (left and right), was sentenced to 56 months in prison after pleading no contest to sexual battery, using a minor for sex acts and molesting a child
Police in Truckee, California, arrested Coronado-Smith in late June 2019. They said they found evidence of numerous electronic items related to his communication with juveniles at his residence.
Following his arrest, investigators said they discovered additional information related to child sex crimes.
He was booked into the county jail on counts of annoying or molesting a minor, possession of child pornography, persuading a minor to create obscene matter, and sending obscene material to a minor.
Coronado-Smith worked as president of a Truckee youth football club, a ski instructor and a golf instructor
According to court documents, between July 2017 and July 2018, Coronado-Smith annoyed or molested a minor under the age of 14. In December 2018 he committed a lewd act upon a second minor, also under the age of 14, police said.
Coronado-Smith was re-arrested last September and charged with sexual battery that occurred between August 1 and November 30, 2011. Court filings alleged that the ski instructor and an accomplice restrained the victim for the purpose of sexual abuse.
Coronado-Smith’s work history includes positions of trust with children. At the time of his initial arrest last year, he was president of Truckee Pop-Warner Football, a ski instructor at Northstar California Resort, and a golf instructor at Lahontan Golf Club.