To guide you, here are top ten tips to help you and your children stay safe on social media platforms. It all starts with a conversation, and by opening up the communication channels with your child early on in their digital life, it will help you to continue those conversations as your child grows.
1. Start a conversation with your child early, before they are on social media
2. Be mindful of age restrictions
3. Let your teen know that the same rules apply online as apply offline
4. Ask your teenager to teach you
5. Identify and seize key moments
6. Help Them Manage Their Time Online
7. Help them to check and manage their privacy settings.
8. Tell them to report if they see something they are concerned about
9. Make it a shared experience
10. Trust yourself
Typically, you can adopt the same parenting style for your teens’s online activities as you do for their offline activities. If you find that your teen responds best to a negotiated agreement, create a contract that you can both sign. Or, maybe your teen just needs to know the basic rules.