#childsafety | Council issue blind cords safety advice to keep children safe

Mayor of Derry and Strabane Brian Tierney.
The cords and chains can pose a life-threatening risk to babies, children and vulnerable adults who could accidentally injure or strangle themselves on the loops.

Council are offering advice on using a safety device on blind cords, not placing furniture near them where children could climb up and reach, and being mindful of elsewhere – for example, grandparents’ homes, hotels or restaurants.

When choosing new blinds for your home, look for those which are ‘safe by design’ or have built-in safety devices, and if professional installers are fitting your blinds, they must fit the safety devices.

Mayor Brian Tierney, said when it comes to window blind cords, it is better to be safe than sorry.

“As a parent to a young child, it’s hard to stay on top of all the dangers that can come up around the house.

“Making sure that blind cords are safe is vitally important because they can so easily cause a terrible accident. Being aware of the dangers, and the simple solutions to those dangers, will make sure that parents and carers don’t have to worry about any injuries occurring.”

For more advice, contact 02871253253 or email: homesafety@derrystrabane.com.


Source link
.  .  .  .  .  .  . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   .   .   .    .    .   .   .   .   .   .  .   .   .   .  .  .   .  .