Scroll down and get caught up quick.
First, today’s weather:
Considerable clouds. High: 34 Low: 28.
Here are the top stories today in Algonquin-Lake In The Hills:
- Economic Development Commission – Village of Algonquin (7:00 PM)
If you’d like to add your event to the Patch.com calendar so it appears in our newsletters and our daily digest, you can do so here.
A look at what local park district, government agencies, organizations and more are posting on social media:
- McHenry County Conservation District: “🌱❄️Considering planting native seeds? This may be surprising, but winter is a great time to do it! Our ecologists recommend planting on snow which allows seeds that need cold stratification to undergo that process. 📷Photos: custom seed…” (Facebook)
- McHenry County Animal Control & Adoption Center: “Is this the cutest Jedi Master ever?🤔 Whether or not you appreciate our Star Wars references, we know you’ll want to meet adoptable Kenobi! This tiger striped cutie is a volunteer & staff favorite, and was described as friendly, curious…” (Facebook)
- McHenry County Conservation District: “📷It is Trail Cam Tuesday! 🦃These wild turkeys were caught on camera at Rush Creek Conservation Area in Harvard. Turkey flock sizes increase in the winter as smaller flocks merge together in areas with reliable food sources. Young turke…” (Facebook)
- The Environmental Defenders of McHenry County: “Nature Photo of the Week: Snow Reflections by Destiny Seaton Whether you are a professional photographer or a nature-lover with a smart phone, we would love to have your photos to show off on our social media and in our eNews! Please ema…” (Facebook)
- McHenry County College: “The MCC Store will be open this week, January 10 – 15: Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. , and Saturday 9 a. m – 1 p.m. or visit us online any time at https://mccbookstore.mchenry.edu” (Instagram)
- McHenry County Animal Control & Adoption Center: “Allie’s winter photoshoot⛄🥰❄ Not only does Allie have the best lil ears, she’s also a sweetheart. She can be a bit nervous when first meeting new people, but once she warms up, she’s SO friendly. If Allie’s new family gives her adequate…” (Facebook)
- McHenry County Fair: “✨Meet Our Staff✨ Susan is the fairs financial secretary. Susan started here career with the fair on the McHenry County Fair Board Association in June 2013 and started working in the office in June 2021.. As part of the Cross County Farme…” (Facebook)
- McHenry County Historical Society: “From the Don Peasley Photo Collection: Skating pond at Veteran Acres Park, Crystal Lake. Photo taken February 11, 1954.” (Facebook)
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore – Woodstock: “Some of today’s donations!” (Facebook)
- McHenry County Fair: “Ok we cannot handle all this cuteness!!! Give me all the calf and baby pictures!!!! 🥰” (Facebook)
- McHenry County College: “There’s still time to register for spring classes. Semester starts January 18. Try Simple Scheduling now! http://ow.ly/h97N50HrSuce” (Facebook)
- District 300: “Reminder -January 14th is an Early Release Day: This is a reminder that Friday, January 14th is an early release day. On an early release day: -all elementary schools will run from 8:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. -all middle schools will run fro…” (Facebook)
- McHenry County College: “The MCC Store will be open this week, January 10 – 15: Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. , and Saturday 9 a. m – 1 p.m. or visit us online any time at https://mccbookstore.mchenry.edu” (Facebook)
- McHenry County College: “Don’t pay to have your small engines fixed—learn how to do it on your own! In MCC’s noncredit Small Engine Repair course, you’ll gain the necessary skills to maintain and fix your personal landscaping equipment and/or snow clearing. Clas…” (Facebook)
- McHenry County College: “There’s still time to register for spring classes. Semester starts January 18. Try Simple Scheduling now! www.mchenry.edu/simple” (Instagram)
- Naturally McHenry County, Illinois: “Explore the makers and products that set McHenry County apart from the rest, from gorgeous, handmade pottery to delectable, homemade chocolates you’ll find it all right here. Naturally. Experience all of our #McHenryCountyMade makers: ht…” (Facebook)
- Village of Lake in the Hills: “Expand your child’s horizons in our Kindergarten Readiness Series! 🖍️ Register your little one at https://bit.ly/3ncGQbP! Kindergarten readiness is about more than reading and writing. 🧒 Enroll your child to help them meet milestones f…” (Facebook)
- The Environmental Defenders of McHenry County: “Join us this Saturday for our first Triangle Prairie Work Day of 2022!” (Facebook)
- McHenry County College: “The 2022 VIRTUAL People in Need Forum is quickly approaching on Saturday, January 29” (Facebook)
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore – Woodstock: “Is your rent over 50% of your income? We are accepting Partner Family applications today! Email or call Jessie for more information: JFlores@habitatmchenry.org – 815-759-9002. Or visit www.habitatmchenry.org to fill out our application a…” (Facebook)
- McHenry County Fair: “Say hi 👋🏼 to Meteor! Meteor is a Suri alpaca 🦙 This handsome boy is a rare Appaloosa color too! ✨Alpaca Facts✨ There are only two breeds of Alpaca. Huacaya alpacas and suri alpacas. The vast majority of the alpacas in North America ar…” (Facebook)
- McHenry County Fair: “Good Morning 🪵 We have some left over pine wood from the fair. Free to a good home 😉 we are happy to help load! We are at the fair grounds Monday-Friday 8-2 but please call to set up a pick up time 815-338-5315” (Facebook)
- United Way of Greater McHenry County: “It’s a perfect day to think about ways to show your community you care! Consider taking the #ActsOfLocalLove challenge in February and purchasing our deck of cards! Every day for a month you can follow along and share the ❤️! Learn more …” (Facebook)
- Algonquin Area Public Library District: “Be part of the good ❤️🧑⚕️ AAPLD hosts #VersitiBlood Center on Jan. 19 from 3-7 PM at the Harnish Main Library. Appointments appreciated. Walk-ins are welcomed. Schedule an appointment at bit.ly/BloodDrive0119” (Facebook)
- Algonquin/Lake in the Hills Chamber of Commerce: “Please click on the link and take the time to visit our renewing members social media pages. A simple click on the link will bring you there. Algonquin State Bank Pyott Road Self Storage Hopkins Grease Company and Incredible Builders, In…” (Facebook)
- McHenry County Conservation District: “There is still time to register for a virtual tour of the historic Powers-Walker House! Learn about the life of early settlers from the comfort of your own home! MCCD.me/WebbyWednesdays” (Facebook)
- Lake in the Hills Elementary Parent Teacher Council: “Don’t forget this Friday is an Early Release!” (Facebook)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Oak Creek Estates: “Snow Remover Needed. – Hi, I am looking for a snow remover to hire for the season. I appreciate if anyone can recommend any.” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Spring Lake Farms: “FOUND HER!!! – And I put her tags back on 😂 Lost white/brown female springer spaniel, pink collar w/no tags – because they are sitting on my counter after the bath 🥴” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, East Side Algonquin: “East side Algonquin. – Did anyone get a box of mine? On the outside of the box it says Isagenix.” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Bellchase: “Did anyone receive a package for Ray Arriola? – Was expecting a package and received an email saying it was delivered but we never received it at our house.” (Nextdoor)
- Joseph from Nextdoor’s Community Team, Nextdoor Illinois: “Space heater safety tips – With the tragic news about the fire started by a space heater in New York City, I thought it would be timely to remind everyone about space heater safety. According to the National Fire Protection Association…” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Boulder Ridge: “Looking to install new front, storm & patio doors. – Any referrals? Thank you.” (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- What No One is Telling You Free Final Resting/Funeral/Cremation Webinar- Friday Jan 14, 5 pm CST (January 14)
- Learn about Global Wildlife & Healthy Living for Your Brain & Body (January 20)
- Learn about Wildlife from around the World and Healthy Living for Your Brain and Body (January 20)
- Add your event
Loving the Algonquin-Lake In The Hills Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You’re all caught up for today. Sign up for our daily newsletters to get your Algonquin-Lake in the Hills daily digest in your inbox for free. You can also follow us on Facebook.
— Amie Schaenzer, Patch.com senior editor
About me: Amie has been an editor with Patch since the company launched in 2010. Currently, she manages several news websites in the Chicago area, including Crystal Lake-Cary Patch, Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Patch, Grayslake Patch and Libertyville Patch. Before that, she worked for daily newspapers, specializing in crime and court coverage as well as politics and local government. You can reach Amie by e-mail at email@example.com.