Our upper-level ridge will continue to dominate our weather pattern into the week. This will lead to high temperatures into the lower-100s and heat index values from 101 to 105. Please know your heat safety tips!
By Friday, a frontal boundary will provide the area with a 20% to 30% chance of thunderstorms. Until then, our drought conditions across North Texas will continue to worsen.
HEAT SAFETY TIPS
With heat like this, you’ll want to take precautions and be prepared.
Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors to make sure they are staying cool.
Young children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles under any circumstances. According to the National Safety Council, if it’s 95 degrees outside the internal temperature of a car could climb to 129 degrees in 30 minutes. After just 10 minutes, temperatures inside could reach 114 degrees.
A child’s body temperature heats up three to five times faster than an adult and heatstroke can begin when a person’s core body temperature reaches 104 degrees. A core temperature of 107 degrees is lethal, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heatstroke. Wear lightweight and loose-fitting clothing when possible. To reduce risk during outdoor work, the OccupationalSafety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air-conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heatstroke is an emergency! Call 911. The CDC has more here on heat-related illnesses.
Take care of your pets by providing them fresh, cool water and plenty of shade. Also, pets should not be left outside and unattended for too long. It’s too hot and they need to be brought inside.
- TONIGHT: Mostly clear and warm. Low: 81. Wind: SE 5-15 mph.
- MONDAY: Mostly sunny and very hot. High: 103. Wind: S 5-15 mph.
- TUESDAY: Mostly sunny and very hot. Low: 81. High: 103. Wind: S 5-15 mph.
- WEDNESDAY: Mostly sunny and hot. Low: 81. High: 102. Wind: S 5-15 mph.
- THURSDAY: Mostly sunny and hot. Low: 81. High: 102. Wind: S 5-15 mph.
- FRIDAY: Partly cloudy with a 20%-30% chance of storms. Low: 80. High: 98. Wind: SE 5-15 mph.
- SATURDAY: Partly cloudy with a 20%-30% chance of storms. Low: 77. High: 97. Wind: E 5-10 mph.
- SUNDAY: Partly sunny with a 10% chance of storms. Low: 77. High: 98. Wind: E 5-10 mph.
- MONDAY: Mostly sunny and hot. Low: 79. High: 101. Wind: SE 5-10 mph.
- TUESDAY: Sunny and hot. Low: 80. High: 101. Wind: S 5-10 mph.
- WEDNESDAY: Sunny and very hot. Low: 81. High: 102. Wind: S 5-10 mph.