Margaret McMurdo, head of the royal commission into the Lawyer X scandal, has said the welfare of Ms Gobbo and her children had been a significant concern throughout the commission.
“We took great care to ensure that her whereabouts were protected and that there were no photographs of the children available,” Ms McMurdo told the ABC in December last year.
“Of course, that’s a real concern … and I’m sure that’s one shared by everybody in Victoria Police and in the Victorian government – yes, it’s a real concern,” she said.
In her findings released in November 2020, Ms McMurdo described the use of Ms Gobbo as a registered informer during Melbourne’s bloody underworld war as a “systemic failure”.
She recommended that a special investigator be appointed to determine if Ms Gobbo and several police officers broke the law.
In 2010 Ms Gobbo received $2.88 million to settle a lawsuit against Victoria Police, after the Victorian Government Solicitors Office obtained advice at the time from Peter Hanks, QC, that Ms Gobbo would be “likely to succeed in her claim for compensation”.
Ms Gobbo, who owns five properties in Melbourne’s south-eastern suburbs, also received almost $2 million in public funding to pay for her legal representation during three trials in a failed bid to conceal her role as a registered police informer.
Her lawyer, Tim Tobin, SC, declined to comment when contacted by The Age on Tuesday.