The Tory MSP is reminding parents that although changes to standards for blinds in 2014 have led to improved product safety, products installed earlier may not have these safety features and millions of households could be affected.
Looped blind cords and chains can strangle children and young people and since 2001 at least 35 children across the UK have tragically died as a result of looped cords, with many more near misses.
The UK Government’s Office for Product Safety and Standards is working with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, the Child Accident Prevention Trust and other organisations to share safety tips on how to keep children safe.
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents recommends that blinds with looped cords in a child’s bedroom should be removed, or tied up where removal is not possible.
Commenting on the campaign, Jamie Greene said: “Children’s safety is the priority of every parent, although something as simple as a blind cord is an easy thing to overlook.
“Tragically, many toddlers have lost their lives in such horrific circumstances and, although safety standards are much improved, many homes with children still harbour this risk.
“This is why I commend the Office for Product Safety for their campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of blind cords, which will hopefully save the lives of many children and young people and reduce the number of near misses.”