That’s because the popular chocolates are not suitable for children under the age of four, as they could pose a choking hazard.
St John Ambulance has issued advice after a concerned mum posted on Facebook about the dangers of children choking on Mini Eggs – although the warning will apply to multiple brands.
Small shaped chocolate eggs are very popular in the lead up to Easter and can be found across shops up and down the UK.
A parent, writing on the Facebook page Nanny Valentine – Behaviour Coach, believes they shouldn’t be given to children because it runs the risk of them choking.
She wrote: “Many parents are now aware of the dangers of grapes and cut them in half.
“Many parents don’t even see these chocolate treats as a danger but they are and mustn’t be given to children under 4!
“I cringe every time I see little ones munching on these delicious treats.
“They are hard and the perfect shape to get lodged in a child’s throat. If this post saves a little one from a terrible accident then it’s worth me posting.
“My children are often bought these at Easter but sorry boys mummy has to eat these.
“Please share and help raise awareness of the danger of these eggs to our little ones.”
What St John Ambulance and Cadbury said
Dr Lynn Thomas, Medical Director at St John Ambulance spoke to Bristol Live about why it’s important to cut Mini Eggs in half.
She said: “We’d recommend that you cut Mini Eggs, and other foods of similar shape and size like grapes, lengthways to reduce the risk of choking as they can get stuck in a child’s airway and stop them breathing if not chewed properly.
“It’s not just children who are at risk; anyone of any age can choke and, whether it’s a friend, family member, colleague or stranger, knowing what to do to help them in their moment of need can help you stay calm and act fast.
“Our easy to follow first aid advice will help if the worst happens, but there’s no substitute for hands-on training with an expert, to give you the skills and confidence to save a life.”
A Cadbury spokeswoman said: “The safety of our customers is of the upmost importance to us and we ensure that all of our Cadbury Mini Eggs packaging very clearly carries the following warning: ‘Choking Hazard: This product is Not suitable for children under four.'”
For the latest news in and around Bristol, visit and bookmark Bristol Live’s homepage.
You can follow us on Twitter here and on Facebook here and here.
You can also join our traffic and travel, crime and parenting Facebook groups.