A child sexual abuse videos offender has admitted parking outside a school for six minutes while serving his home detention sentence.
The 49-year-old father, whose name is suppressed until his sentencing on October 5, will remain in custody on the charge of breaching his home detention.
The man had been sentenced in January for trading in child sex abuse videos involving 45 individual children, who had not been identified. He had also shared the videos 16 times.
He made the breach admission on Wednesday, the day a judge-alone trial had been scheduled in the Christchurch District Court.
On February 28 the man was allowed an approved absence from his home detention address for an appointment. He was required to travel directly home after the activity and not make any unapproved stops.
People on home detention wear electronic bracelets that allow GPS tracking.
His monitoring staff noticed he stopped outside a primary school for about six minutes. He said he stopped because he was on the phone, but was not able to provide proof of the call and he would not hand over his phone for a probation officer to check.
Probation commented: “The location in which he chose to stop based on his offending history shows a lack of insight into his own risk while putting himself into a high risk situation in stopping outside a school for a number of minutes.”
Christchurch District Court Judge Tom Gilbert asked for an updated report on the man’s suitability for another home detention term, but said it seemed “like a long shot”.
The man had earlier agreed to a review of his home detention sentence.
The Community Probation Service had asked for the home detention sentenced to be reviewed because the man was aggressive and hostile towards probation officers.
Crown prosecutor Pip Norman said the man’s sentence began in January and had been due to run until January 2018.
The judge said the man’s suppression would have to be re-argued at his sentencing.