First, today’s weather:
Occasional morning rain. High: 79 Low: 64.
Here are the top three stories in Shirley-Mastic today:
- Suffolk County health officials published the latest COVID-19 case update on Sunday. According to the data, a total of 535 new first-time cases were reported across the county. For the full report, including COVID-19 vaccination information, visit your Shirley-Mastic Patch at the link. (Press Release Desk)
- A school in nearby Riverhead received its third terror threat in less than a week on Monday. The incident occurred at Riverhead Middle School, where police responded after being notified that a student had allegedly threatened to conduct an act of violence. The student was removed from class and the Riverhead Police Department is currently investigating the claims. (Daily Voice)
- A tea house inspired by “Alice In Wonderland” is open for business in nearby Blue Point. The Mad Batter Tea Room & Cafe offers more than 40 different kinds of tea as well as coffee, food, and dessert. Visitors stopping by the location on Montauk Highway may also see live entertainment including acoustic musicians and interactive drag shows. (LongIsland.com)
Today in Shirley-Mastic:
- Playspace At MMSCL (9:00 AM)
- “On The Road” Messy Meetups At Southaven Park (10:00 AM)
- Learn The Art Of Quilting At MMSCL (2:15 PM)
- “On The Road” Sandcastles At Smith Point Beach (5:30 PM)
- Art Club At Mastic Rec Center (6:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- The Girl Scouts of Suffolk County’s Girl Fest 2022 is happening this Saturday, Jun. 11, at Camp Edey in Bayport! Tickets can be purchased at the gate for $28 per child. Click here for more details. (Girl Scouts of Suffolk County via Instagram)
- A new women’s health initiative is coming to Peconic Bay Medical Center in nearby Riverhead. The project, led by Dr. Brian McKenna, will include a complete revamp of the women’s health department over the next few years. (Dan’s Papers)
- Music fans making their way to Port Jefferson can stop by a brand new guitar and art boutique this summer. West Lake Music at the Port will open at 208 East Main Street on Jul. 1. (Greater Long Island)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Thanks for following along and staying informed. See you all tomorrow morning for another update!
— Danielle Fallon
About me: Danielle Fallon is a senior writer with content creation agency Lightning Media Partners and assists Patch.com with community newsletter curation. Danielle also holds a Master’s Degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders and works part-time as a pediatric speech therapist.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Shirley-Mastic Daily? Contact me at email@example.com