Davis Police warn parents of teen cold med abuse

DAVIS, OK A warning tonight for parents, an old drug is gaining popularity with teens and chances are it’s already in your medicine cabinet.

Police say last weekend two young Davis students overdosed on this drug ending up in the hospital.

It’s called “Triple C.” The name comes from Coriceden cough and cold.
But it’s the drug in that and other cough and cold medicines, called Dextromethorphan or DXM.
This can be deadly if not taken as directed.
The Davis assistant police chief says kids are taking 10 to 50 times the prescribed dose.
“Unfortunately in society they are always going to be looking for the next way to get high,” Gregory said. “This is an easy way to do it (get high) but they don’t understand the dangers of it.”

These drugs are intended to suppress coughing, but in the doses young people are taking, they can cause dangerous hallucinations similar to those caused by PCP.
Anxiety, high temperatures, hospitalization and even death are some of the side effects.
He wants young people to know the short lived buzz is not worth the possible end result.

“We don’t want to, at 2 o’ clock in the morning, knocking on a parents door telling them their child is no longer with them,” Gregory said.

That’s why Davis Superintendent Mike Martin is joining Gregory in warning parents.

“We are going to try to be proactive and not reactive,” Martin said. “We don’t want to sit here and say wait until something may happen before we are getting information out to students and parents.”

Gregory says kids are stealing these medicines from pharmacies, retail stores and even their parents’ medicine cabinets.
Michael Lee is a pharmacist at sooner foods.

“Well we have had a recent case of students stealing DXM and having some trouble with that,” Lee said.

He says DXM can be harmful when abused, but that’s not all.

“So the amount of Tylenol that a young person can get can be over the recommended allowance of Tylenol and that can be dangerous in itself, (and) for their livers and things like that,” Lee said.

Lee says parents should monitor how much of each medicine is in your home, check the trash and keep products out of reach.
Susie Gain is raising her three grandchildren in Davis and says the news of the two overdoses is terrifying.

“We need to we need to do everything we possibly can because there will be deaths from this if it continues and it will be too late,” Gain said.
Davis schools plans to have the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics visit soon to address these issues.

The superintendent says he wants everyone to know, that if anyone ever feels pressured or just needs someone to talk to, they have a counselor available.

source: http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/Common-cold-medicine-sends-2-students-to-the-hospital-290872861.html