Mother pleads guilty in death of boy left near space heater for 38 hours in St. Charles

The mother of a 2-year-old boy who died after being left near a space heater while his parents allegedly used methamphetamine has pleaded guilty to neglect and manufacturing a controlled substance.

Kathleen Marie Peacock, 23, of St. Charles, pleaded guilty on Friday to two felonies: child abuse/neglect and manufacturing methamphetamine.

Her son, Braydon Barnes, died of hyperthermia, or overheating, in December 2015. She and the boy’s father are accused of leaving the boy in his crib in a back room of the family’s mobile home in the 3700 block of Baden Street for 38 hours near a space heater that did not have a thermostat to shut it off when it got too hot.

The couple were using meth at the time, authorities allege.

A trial for the boy’s father, Lucas Russell Barnes, 26, of St. Charles, is set for April 18. He is facing similar charges.

Peacock is scheduled to be sentenced on May 19 before St. Charles County Circuit Judge Jon Cunningham.