Agenesis of the corpus callosum (ACC), a disorder presented at birth, presents an absence of the area that connects the brain’s two cerebral hemispheres, according to rarediseases.org. ACC can cause seizures, loss of sight and hearing, poor muscle tone and coordination issues.
The story begins in December, when local roofer Mike Rank first worked on the home of Emily and Michael DeAngelo. The DeAngelo’s had a 6-month-old baby and expected their second child.
“When I met (Emily), she was one of the nicest, most thankful customers I had ever met,” Rank said.
A few weeks ago, Rank met with the family again about another roofing issue. That’s when he met Giuliana (Gigi). Rank learned about Gigi’s rare diagnosis and the obstacles she faced.
Gigi has many doctors, such as a neurologist, neurosurgeon, cardiologist, audiologist, occupational therapist, physical therapist and a future speech pathologist.
Rank felt inspired to help, and several businesses have joined the fight to help Gigi:
- Ray, from Ray’s Pizza on Mill Creek Road Manahawkin will donate 20 percent of his profits on Nov. 14: 609-978-5050.
- Jay, from Mystic Subs on Bay Avenue, Manahawkin will donate from his Nov. 20 sales: 609-290-9198.
- Chris, from Big Barlow’s BBQ on Route 9, Barnegat will donate from his Dec. 5. sales: 609-549-3640.
- Shemick from Precision Power Washing will donate profits from his upcoming jobs: 609-756-8606.
- Alyson from Tasty Cheesecakes located in the Bay Avenue Flea Market shoppes will donate profits from her Nov. 7: 609-549-3978.
- Jess from Airamids Designs at the Manor House Shops will donate 20 percent of all sales from Oct. 24-25. She will also sell her handmade macrame earrings that weekend, donating 100 percent of their proceeds: 609-489-1267.
- Mel from Mud City and Jeremy from Jetty Rock will donate a portion of their fundraising from Crabbing for a Cause.
- Michele Kitzler from The Stick Peoples Kidz will donate 25 percent of her sales from Nov. 8. She will attend the Stafford Township EMS Auxillary Arts and Craft Show from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. that day: 732-581-7684.
- Michael from The Drill Sergeant Cleaning Service will donate 20 percent from his busiest day from the first week of November.
- Janine Seeley Independent Consultant with Pampered Chef is hosting a fundraiser. A minimum of 15 percent of all sales will support the DeAngelo family. Click here for more info.
- John and Amy from Cluck N Crabs in Beach Haven West will donate a portion of their Oct. 30 sales: 609-488-2013.
- Pat from Cool Concessions will donate from his upcoming events.
You can also donate on Venmo to gigideangelo08050 — might need the last four digits of the phone number: 5626.
“I know firsthand how great our community is when someone is in a time of need,” Rank said, “and we are asking for your help.”