The app came along with iOS 14 but you won’t see it in the App Library and probably won’t notice it at all unless you know where to look.
The Code Scanner app only exists in the Control Centre on your iPhone.
To find it you first need to unlock your device and swipe down on the Home Screen.
Then type in “Code Scanner” in the search bar.
You’ll see the app and its grey icon pop up.
The Code Scanner app does exactly what it says on the tin.
It can be used to scan QR codes, such as the ones you need to scan to log locations on the NHS Test and Trace app.
Many Apple users will know that you can also use the Camera app as a code scanner.
The Camera app then takes you to Safari to show the QR code info but if you use the Code Scanner app then the information in the app itself.
You can add Code Scanner to your Control Centre by going to Settings and then clicking Control Centre.
Then click the green plus symbol next to the Code Scanner app.
You’ll then be able to access the app when you swipe on your Home Screen to see other Control Centre apps like Torch or Camera.
Remember, when you close Code Scanner the code will be lost and you won’t be able to access its information again without another scan.
iPhone tricks to try today
Here are some of the best…
- Typing cursor – When typing, hold down the space bar to turn your keyboard into a trackpad, letting you move around words and sentences more easily
- Close all Safari tabs – To do this in one go, simply hold the overlapped squares in the bottom right-hand corner, and press close all tabs
- Delete lots of photos quickly – Hold down on a photo and then drag your finger diagonally in Photos to select lots of images at once, then hit delete
- Convert currency quickly – Swipe down from the top of your Home screen (or swipe left to right on an iPhone X or later model), then tap in the bar and type a currency (like $200) and it will automatically covert to your local currency
- Check if you’re due a battery upgrade – Batteries inside smartphones degrade over time. Just go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health, and check out the Maximum Capacity reading. Generally a battery is considered worn when you’re down to 80% capacity. If you’re below, you can buy a battery swap from Apple
- Move apps around faster – Hold an app until it starts wiggling, then (while still holding) tap other apps, causing them to stack so you can move them around easier
In other news, Apple is preparing to unveil a massive upgrade for your iPhone.
iPhone owners are being urged to update their mobiles immediately in order to protect them from a critical security bug.
And, Apple is rumoured to be working on a foldable phone to rival Samsung.
Are you a big Apple fan? Let us know in the comments…
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org