Here, the role of parents is very important as they can, apart from keeping a check on what is going on in their teenagers’ lives, can also advise and guide them. And if your child is stressed and depressed there are various ways like therapies that can be of immense help.
Various mental health disorders
Reasons why and how should talk to your teenager about drugs and alcohol
Effects of hormonal imbalance and mental health in women
Serious mental health disorders that teenagers can suffer from are:
Mood swings Stressand anxiety
- Social isolation
- Eating disorders
- Anorexia and
bulimia Substanceabuse like drugsand alcohol
What are the red flags for your teenager’s mental health?
Mood and health-boosting benefits of colour therapy
International Friendship Day: Impact of friendship on mental health
There are a few important points to note for parents to keep an eye on their children, for mental health issues.
- Be worried if your child is sleeping excessively. Teenagers sleeping beyond the usual is not normal and indicates a sign of depression or substance abuse
- Loss of interest in the teenage years is normal, but if your child is losing attention to everything he used to like, there can be a problem you need to intervene in
- If there is an unexpected decline in their academic performance, parents need to be alert
- Personality shift in a teenager, for example, if the child was an extrovert and suddenly has stopped socializing or talking, calls for hitting the worry button
How can the parents help?
There are a few key points as parents that you need to be clear about. Take the initiative and try to sort out your adolescent’s life before it is too late.
Communicatehonestly: Be like friends with your teenagers so that you can talk about any topic with them openly. If there are some problems they are facing, you will be able to spot them and help find solutions. Do let them know that there is nothing wrong with getting anxiety about something or feeling stressed.
- Be open about mental health issues: Mental health issues come with a lot of taboos and teenagers today are aware of them. So, take all the information about the common psychological disorders and speak with the doctor about their symptoms and act accordingly.
- Be attentive: This transition of teenage years is not easy. Be supportive and attentive to the changes and help them be normal.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.