Detectives think a gang paid a contract killer to murder Keane Mulready-Woods as part of a turf war in Drogheda, Co Louth, Ireland.
Gardai have reportedly identified those involved, however they have not yet found a motive for the brutal murder.
Footage of the teen’s death was shared on social media and messaging applications, along with pictures of his dismembered body parts.
It is thought his killers may have suspected him of speaking to the gardai or a rival gang.
The youngster is said to have taken part in drug dealing in Drogheda and was previously convicted of fire bombing a house over a drugs debt, The Times reports.
He was last seen on January 12 and was still under supervision orders and a curfew due to his conviction.
It is thought he was tricked into visiting a home, where he was tortured and killed.
Some of his body parts were found in a burnt out car, while others were left inside a sports bag, which was discovered in Dublin.
Detectives think the killer wanted people to find his remains to intimidate local teens, although the youngster’s torso is still missing.
There is no known link between the 17-year-old and the individuals the killer apparently wanted to scare.
The Times reports that the suspected killer, who has a history of gangland killings, lives between north Dublin and Drogheda, although the masterminds of the murder have left the area.
It is believed he is under the impression there is no forensic evidence linking him to the killing.
“He has not changed his daily routine and doesn’t appear to have any intention of leaving the country, though some of his associates have,” a security source told The Times.
“This is a man who has murdered and killed before. He is forensically aware and is used to being arrested and questioned about serious crime for extended periods.”
The investigation is ongoing and police are appealing for information.