MEAD, Wash. — Police are still trying to determine if a 17-year-old Mead High School student’s drug overdose death was accidental.
The student died from an overdose involving oxycodone and Xanax, among other drugs, on January 11.
If the drugs he took were laced with fentanyl, then his death could be considered a homicide.
Fentanyl is considered to be 50 to 100 times more dangerous than morphine. Police said the friends of the student confirmed that he had snorted “Percocets” and had eaten several “Xanax” pills throughout that night.
Those friends were around when the boy passed out, but because of his prior use of drugs, they told police they just figured he needed to sleep it off.
They also said they don’t know where he got the drugs, and the boy’s parents allowed police to search the home immediately.
That search confirmed that those drugs came from somewhere else. That’s why it becomes even more important to talk to your kids about the drugs they may encounter.
“Have them be honest with you, like ‘yeah I’ve tried it’ and then sit down with them and say now that you tried it, what are we going to do about preventing it again or what can I do to help you not do it again,” Amanda Dugger, a specialist with the Greater Spokane Substance Abuse Council said.
It’s important to know who your teen hangs out with.
Often times, you can have a talk with them, but their friends have a bigger influence.
It’s also important to lock up prescription drugs at home.
Almost half of all teens say it’s easy to get prescription drugs from a parent’s medicine cabinet.
In fact, one in four teens says they’ve taken a prescription drug that wasn’t prescribed to them.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.