First, today’s weather:
Rain and drizzle in the a.m. High: 69, low: 57.
Here are the top 5 stories in Patchogue today:
- Angel Tacuri from Patchogue has pleaded guilty to sexually abusing eight children. The crimes occurred between 2010 and 2015 at his wife’s unlicensed daycare. In 2021 victims come forward, leading Tacuri to face 20 years in prison. (News 12 Bronx)
- Jardin Cafe opens in Patchogue, serving healthy dishes with a unique menu that includes organic and gluten-free options. The new spot is located at 90 East Main Street. (LI.com)
- Singer Debbie Gibson made it to the list of Newsday’s 12 Summer Concerts you won’t want to miss! Gibson will perform at the Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts on June 11 as part of her “The Body Remembers Tour 2022.” (Patchogue Theater)
- Want A Gorgeous Garden? Patch can help you to find out how much landscaping in the Patchogue Area Costs. (Patch)
- Nearby News: Police released three 911 calls connected to the death of Shannan Gilbert. Authorities called Gilbert’s death a “tragic accident.” The autopsy concluded her cause of death as undetermined. (News12)
Today in Patchogue:
- Competitive Dog Sports at PMPL.(2 p.m.)
- Spring Beer Fest at Burgerology. (2 p.m.)
- Full Flower Moon Hike to the Breach at Old Inlet. (6 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and the Patchogue-Medford Public Library has a list of places to be contacted if you or anyone you know needs help. All are welcome to text, call, or send an email to the institutions that will provide one-on-one support for kids, teens, and adults. (PMPL)
- Good news to students on Long Island! Simons Foundation gifted Stony Brook University with $56.6 million in grants to be invested in STEM careers to benefit underrepresented students. As a result, the university announced the creation of 50 scholarships with an expanding potential. (Patch)
- Patchogue-Medford School District: “It’s a special time of year for Pat-Med student-athletes enjoying senior day/night moments on their home fields. This is an image from the girl’s lacrosse senior night. Enjoy every minute and make some memories!” (Facebook)
- Patchogue Arts Council: “Maggie Avolio in Off the Wall at PAC MoCA LI opening tomorrow, May 14.” (Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Gigs & services:
Alrighty, you’re all caught up for today! See you tomorrow for another update.
— Debora Whitehead
About me: Have a story idea? Please get in touch with me! I would love to hear from you! Wife, mom, foodie, traveler, and nature lover.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Patchogue Daily? Contact me at Patchogue@Patch.com.