Report: ‘Domestic Incident’ Led to Chase Scanlan Suspension | #College. | #Students


PHOTO BY RICH BARNES / SYRACUSE ATHLETICS

Syracuse.com reports that Chase Scanlan was “involved in what police labeled a domestic incident a day before he was suspended by the team, according to law enforcement sources and people familiar with the case.”

The report indicates that Scanlan was not charged with a crime.

On April 17 at 11:34 p.m., the Syracuse University Department of Public Safety crime logs an incident on Syracuse’s South Campus that involved Scanlan. He was suspended from the team shortly thereafter but reinstated one week later. The domestic case is still listed as open, Syracuse.com reports.

Yesterday, John Johnson II of Spectrum News CNY reported that players planned a walk-out of practice if Scanlan returned to the field. (See below for more from that update.)

It is unclear what the next steps will be, but Syracuse head coach John Desko is scheduled for a virtual press conference with media at 3:30 p.m. Eastern time Wednesday.

PREVIOUS UPDATE
April 27, 4:30 p.m. Eastern

There has been another update to the Chase Scanlan situation at Syracuse, one that gets murkier by the day.

Steve Infanti, sports director at News Channel 9 covering Central New York, tweets that while Scanlan was reinstated on Monday after serving an indefinite suspension ultimately spanning one game, he did not practice on Tuesday. Even more, sources told Infanti that Syracuse players are asking for a meeting with Syracuse athletic director John Wildhack to discuss the situation.

John Johnson II of Spectrum News CNY was first to report that Syracuse players had plans to walk out of practice if Scanlan arrived.

“News Channel 9 had a crew at practice, which was held outside of the Ensley Center, but was politely asked to leave because practices are closed to the media,” News Channel 9’s story says.

US Lacrosse Magazine will continue to update this developing story.

PREVIOUS UPDATE
April 26, 4:30 p.m. Eastern

According to a report from Ty Xanders of Inside Lacrosse, Syracuse attackman Chase Scanlan has been reinstated after an indefinite suspension. He will return to practice on Tuesday, per the report.

Scanlan confirmed the report to US Lacrosse Magazine: “Yes and I’m very excited to help the team in any way win the NCAA championship.”

Scanlan missed one game, a 13-11 win over Virginia in Charlottesville. Inside Lacrosse first reported on April 20 (see below) that Scanlan received the suspension for an incident that occurred after the previous game, a 21-9 drubbing at the hands of North Carolina.

Syracuse has one more regular season contest scheduled, a May 1 date with No. 4 Notre Dame. In an 18-11 loss to Notre Dame on April 3, Scanlan scored twice on seven shots.

Syracuse will be without its famed No. 22 for the immediate future.

“Chase Scanlan has been suspended indefinitely from the men’s lacrosse team,” a team spokesperson confirmed to US Lacrosse Magazine. “We will have no further comment”

The two-time All-American attackman and citizen of the Seneca Nation transferred from Loyola to Syracuse after his freshman season and has led the Orange in goals the past two years. This spring, he’s tallied 28 goals to go along with eight assists through eight games. After racing out to an undefeated 5-0 record last spring, Syracuse entered 2021 as the favorite to win the ACC, according to the coaches’ poll.

The Orange, however, have stumbled to a 5-4 record, the latest result a 21-9 loss to conference foe North Carolina. The 21 goals are the most the Tar Heels have put up against an ACC foe in 27 years. Scanlan notched one goal and one assist in the game, but Inside Lacrosse reported that the incident that prompted the suspension occurred after that game.

No. 11 Syracuse heads to Charlottesville this Saturday to take on No. 5 Virginia at Klöckner Stadium. The Orange previously beat the Cavaliers 20-10 at the Carrier Dome. It was the highlight of the team’s season thus far and its only ACC win.





Source link