Seattle family: State could’ve stopped child predator

To say Jesse Brisbin has a problem with public spaces is to be too kind.

Parks, playgrounds, malls and the like never did anything to Brisbin. Brisbin, however, has used them as hunting grounds for children.

Brisbin had already abused at least eight children when he dragged a 6-year-old girl off a Seattle playground. The girl’s mother would later describe the terrifying ordeal as one of the “hardest days one could possibly imagine as a parent.”

For Brisbin, it was nearly a dream come true.

Brisbin, 31, was one of 3,000 or so sex criminals under the state Department of Corrections’ watch when he grabbed the girl in June 2014. He’d regained his freedom three years before, having served nearly two years in prison for trying to coax a 3-year-old boy into touching his genitals.

When he kidnapped the girl, Brisbin had yet to even start sex offender treatment despite court orders that he do so. He’d already told police he fantasized about abducting a child from a park. Then he did it, from a Beacon Hill playground blocks from his home.

“There was almost a verbatim warning from Brisbin himself,” said Evan Fuller, an attorney with Tacoma’s Connelly Law Offices representing the girl and her family.

“This is a guy who, pretty much since the late ’90s, had essentially a pattern of sexually predatory behavior toward children,” Fuller continued. “It should’ve never happened on DOC’s watch, and it did.”

The girl’s family has sued the Department of Corrections, filing a lawsuit earlier this month in King County Superior Court. Fuller characterized the department’s monitoring of Brisbin as “utter neglect.”

Records show Brisbin was allowed to live a short walk from Benefit Playground despite warnings that he shouldn’t be allowed to live near parks. Brisbin previously described to police how parks “would enable him … to snatch a child to molest the child.”

Having been apprehended – and roughed up – by witnesses and the girl’s father, Brisbin ultimately admitted to the sexually motivated abduction and pleaded guilty to kidnapping. He was sentenced to 18 years in state prison; although, because of the nature of his crimes, he can be held until prison officials deem him fit for release.

A spokesman for the Department of Corrections referred questions to the Attorney General’s Office, which declined to respond to the allegations regarding Brisbin.