Teacher Called 911 After Hearing Fatal Shooting On Call: Report | #teacher | #children | #kids

MILWAUKEE, WI — A Milwaukee man has been arrested and charged after authorities say he walked into the local police department and told officers he shot and killed his sister.

Mario Stokes, 45, Milwaukee, has been charged with first-degree reckless homicide and possession of a firearm by a felony. If convicted, Stokes could face up to 45 years behind bars based on the maximum penalties for both charges filed against him.

According to a WISN 12 report, a child was home attending a virtual school class when Stokes pulled the trigger. The child’s teacher said she heard the gunshots and called 911, the report said.

Police said Stokes walked a few blocks from him home to the Milwaukee District 4 police station just after 8 a.m. on Sept. 11 to tell police that “his sister no longer existed,” and that “he did it, and that he used a .380 [handgun.]”

According to the criminal complaint, officers searched his home in the 6800 block of W. Silver Spring Drive, and found a Bodyguard .380 Smith and Wesson handgun and a number of spent casings in the kitchen and dining room.

Police said they found Stokes’ sister dead with multiple gunshot wounds to the face.

According to police, when officers questioned Stokes, he said he argued with his sister the day before, and was still upset the next morning.

One of Stokes’ roommates said Stokes and his sister got into an argument the day before, with Stokes’ sister saying he’d have to leave the house the next day, according to the criminal complaint. Police said the roommate was awoken the next morning to the sound of five gunshots.

Police said the roommate eventually went downstairs to find Stokes halfway out the door. “I’m on my way to the police to turn myself in,” the roommate recalled Stokes saying, according to the criminal complaint.

Court records from 2014 show that Stokes was found “guilty — but not guilty due to mental disease or defect” to disorderly conduct and possessing a gun by a felon charges. In that case, a judge ordered Stokes committed to the Mendota Mental Health Institute. He was discharged in May 2019.

Source link
.  .  .  .  .  .  . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   .   .   .    .    .   .   .   .   .   .  .   .   .   .  .  .   .  .