A school teacher who indecently recorded dozens of children has pleaded guilty to more than 60 offences.
The male teacher, who was sacked upon being charged, faced the WA District Court on Thursday and entered guilty pleas to 62 charges, including 57 counts of indecently recording a child.
He also pleaded guilty to two counts of possessing child exploitation material, two counts of producing child exploitation material and one count of visually recording a private activity.
The man, whose name remains suppressed by the courts, was arrested in August 2015 after a mobile phone found at the school he was teaching at was handed into police.
Police carried out a search warrant at his home the next day and seized computers, electronic devices, more mobile phones and micro optical recording devices.
Detectives said an analysis of those devices uncovered tens of thousands of child exploitation images and video recordings.
The court was told about 30 victims had been identified in the images and videos and the man had taught at several schools.
An application was lodged by the prosecution on Thursday for the suppression order on the man’s name to be lifted.
“It’s in the interests of justice for the accused’s name to be published,” the prosecutor said, adding that doing so may prompt other victims to come forward.
“Potentially, there are other children who are not subject to the charges,” the prosecutor said.
But the man’s lawyer opposed the lifting of the order and said it might cause unnecessary harm to children and their families who had been taught by him.
The lawyer added there was no likelihood of other victims because police had carried out a comprehensive investigation and her client had been “extremely forthcoming” about his offending.
Chief Judge Kevin Sleight reserved his decision on whether to lift the suppression order. He will make a decision in several weeks.
The Department of Education confirmed to WAtoday the man’s employment was terminated once he was arrested.
At the time of the man’s arrest, the department’s executive director Eamon Ryan said staff and police “acted immediately” after the discovery of the mobile phone at the school.
“We will continue to cooperate with police and the man will not be able to work in any schools while this matter is ongoing,” Mr Ryan said at the time.
“As this is a police matter and now before the courts, we will not make any further comment.”
Police said yesterday the parents of all victims had been notified.
The man was remanded in custody and a psychological report was ordered ahead of his sentencing in May.