Wallsend man intends to deny murder of teacher Caroline Kayll and attempted murder of boy, 15 | #teacher | #children | #kids


A man charged with murdering a teacher and attempting to murder a 15-year-old boy intends to deny the charges, a court heard.

Paul Robson appeared before South East Northumberland Magistrates’ Court on Monday after being arrested near Glasgow on Friday.

The 49-year-old, of Stanley Street, Howdon, Wallsend, is accused of murdering Caroline Kayll, 47, and attempting to murder a 15-year-old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons as he is a juvenile, following an order made by the court.

Robson’s solicitor Kash Khan told the court: “He is going to deny these matters.

“He is denying any specific intent and any unlawful actions.”

Robson, who wore a grey T-shirt under a black quilted jacket, will next appear before Newcastle Crown Court on Wednesday.

Caroline Kayll died in hospital almost a week after an attack in the village of Linton, Northumberland, last Sunday.

Northumbria Police said at around 8.55pm, they received a report that a 47-year-old woman and a 15-year-old boy had been assaulted at an address on Foxcover.

The woman, later identified as Ms Kayll, died in hospital while the teenage boy suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

On Thursday, police released details of Paul Robson and said he was wanted in connection with the attack.

Those enquiries focused north of the border and – with support from Police Scotland – Robson was arrested outside of Glasgow on Friday.

Ms Kayll worked as a teacher at Atkinson House school, which caters for children with social, emotional and mental health issues.

Senior investigating officer, Detective Inspector Graeme Barr, said: “A murder investigation is always tragic for those involved and our thoughts go out to the families at this very difficult time.

“We have had extra officers on patrol in the area concerned because we appreciate the impact that this kind of incident can also have upon the wider community.

“We want to reassure the public that this is being treated as an isolated incident and a man has now been charged in connection with the attack and Caroline’s death.

“I would urge members of the public to respect the active legal proceedings and refrain from speculating on social media, as this could potentially prejudice the case.

“I’d like to thank those who have come forward with information to assist us with this case, and would appeal for anyone with further information – who has yet to do so – to get in touch.”



Source link
.  .  .  .  .  .  . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   .   .   .    .    .   .   .   .   .   .  .   .   .   .  .  .   .  .